Old 01-06-2010, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default sap on tips of peach tree branches

"Ohioguy" wrote in message

peach tree

However, the big problem that I see is that maybe 40% of the tips of the
branches - most of them with the tip damage - are oozing a clear,
gelatinous mass that stays right in the area.

Do a google using the terms 'peach' and 'gummosis' and look at the pics that
come up to see if this is the porblem.

There are always a number of small ants on the tree, and I've noticed
some small round areas appearing at the base of each leaf. It almost
looks like the ants are getting some sort of fluid there, but I'm not sure
if it is actually harmful. I'm keeping my eye out for aphids, and if they
appear, I'm going to spray regularly.

More likely the ants will be farming scale insects of some sort. Ants move
the scale insects around and spread them as they eat the exudate from scale
insects. There are a bout a squillion differnt forms of scale but most can
be treated. id try to confirm if it was scale then to treat it and do it
repeatedly and the ants just might move elsewhere.