Old 01-06-2010, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default While rooting through the shed:-

wrote:
In article i5OMn.15545$jM2.2951@hurricane,
alan.holmes wrote:

Thanks for that it is most helpful, which makes a change to the
efforts of others who have made comments.

I was under the impression that it was some sort of fertiliser, but
it is so long since I last used it I had forgotten how to use it.

If you had read the second part of my posting, you would have seen
that I did say that it was a phosphoric fertiliser! Yes, of course,
the Sweeney Todd allusion was a joke.

I have no idea why you have phosphoric acid rather than the more
usual calcium phosphate (which was later superseded by
superphosphate), but phosphorus is phosphorus.

You could try your hand at making Coca-Cola. Or turn rust to phosphate
with it, before painting. That's the principle behind that stuff whose
name will come back to me any moment now...er...um... "Jenolite"! But
I'd ring the Council and get rid of it: you don't really want even
moderate acids lying about in any quantity if you can't even remember
why you've got them...

--
Mike.