Old 02-06-2010, 06:40 AM posted to misc.rural,rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default ID this type of farm BRIDGE, please

In article
,
Harry K wrote:

On Jun 1, 8:29*pm, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message

In article
,
Harry K wrote:

On May 31, 7:44 pm, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"John Gilmer" wrote in message
. au...
"John Gilmer" wrote in message
"Bob Noble" wrote in message
.. .
It looks more to me like that is a bridge used to support a big
pump
for some kind of irrigation. Note the pump in the middle with the
overhead to rise the pump.

I suspect that the "bridge" served to hold a "hydralic ram" which
uses
the velocity of the water to pump a small portion of the water to
the
level of the surrounding fields.

Nope. Hydraulic rams need a head of water above the pump so that the
water drops into the ram. - its the action of the water falling into
the
ram that makes the pumping happen.

Nope, yourself.

You just don't understand how a hydralic ram operates.

I do but I'd love to see a cite that would prove me wrong. I have a use
for
such a beast.

It uses the kinetic energy of a stream to raise a small portion of
water
well above the level of the stream.

A stream can certainly be used to do that with a hydraulic ram but the
stream must allow the water to drop into the ram not just flow past it
gently like the water does in a slow moving irrigation channel.

I'd certainly be very interested to see a pic of any hydraulic ram that
works as you say it will. I can't see how a slow moving stream can make
use of the water hammer effect that gives the 'ram' its name but I'd
certainly like to know more details. Can you post a cite please.- Hide
quoted text -

The system I referred to sat right on the edge of the stream. *The
stream was a 'gentle one'. *The input pipe ran a distance up the
stream so I guess you could say 'dropping into the ram'. *Yes, there
has to be an elevation difference but there is no "dropping into the
ram' in any sense the normal person would use.

You could look it up on the 'net.

Harry K

Sorry Harry K but I'm tagging onto a response from Billy. *(Thanks Billy for
responding as otherwise I wouldn't have seen this) *I have not ever seen any
post from you Harry on this subject but your comment suggests that you have
written something on this before. *I have seen no other post from you other
than this reply from Billy.

As I mentioned earlier, a stream can indeed be used to operate a ram. *And
indeed it can be used in just the way you describe. *But as I also wrote
there MUST be a drop. *That drop does not have to be like a mini waterfall
immediatley above the ram. *It can as you mention come from a considerable
distance upstream (usually by pipe) to allow for the drop into the ram.
Any 'normal person' with half a brain cell should be able to figure out that
water flowing to a ram downstream from an intake pipe forms a 'drop'. *And a
'drop' there must be (at least there must be a drop unless they have
inveneted something new that no longer operate using water hammer
principles)- Hide quoted text -

Aha. The post I was replying to read like you were saying there had
to be something like a mini waterfall.

I dunno why you can't see my post. Perhaps you have me kill filed?

Harry K

And if you were an honorable man, you would give a citation to make your
point, instead of saying, "Go look it up." As it stands, it appears that
your pulling your information out of your back side.
--
- Billy