Old 02-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Kitanda's Avatar
Kitanda Kitanda is offline
Registered User

Location: Lincolnshire
Default Cucubits and cross pollination - help

I'm a novice veg grower - this is only my 2nd year and I have a question about cucubits.

Last year I bought all female cucumbers so the question didn't come up. But this year I have male/female cucumbers, and also male/female courgettes growing. I'm sure I read somewhere that I should cut off the male cucumber flowers as female pollinated fruit becomes bitter. Should I do the same for the courgettes?

I also read this morning that I should hand pollinate female courgette flowers with the male. But I was wondering if it's possible that an insect landing on the male courgette flower could then pollinate a female cucumber flower?

Is this a daft question or a valid point? Any help would be appreciated as I'm a little confused.

Tracey