Old 02-06-2010, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Best alternative to Sodium Chlorate?

On 02/06/2010 11:57, Martin wrote:
On 02/06/10 12:03, Martin Brown wrote:
On 02/06/2010 10:47, wrote:
Now that we can't get Sodium Chlorate what's the best (as in
reasonably cheap + effective) alternative?

You should probably have done a last time buy. You are not supposed to
use it any more though since ISTR 10/5/2010. Not sure why the EU banned
it - probably some halfwitted jobsworth interfering again.

Maybe you should use google to find the reasons before going off at half
cock?

The reasons are given here

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.c...l.htm#sodchlor

They *voted* to ban it. That is not a reason for anything.

Sodium chlorate is not particularly good for making explosives unless
you have a death wish. And agricultural ammonium nitrate fertiliser will
always be freely available in much larger bulk quantities.

Drain and oven cleaner is widely sold in supermarkets and is far more
dangerous to life and limb. I have complained about the cretinous TV
advert with the bloke and the plastic bag oven shelf advert sloshing
concentrated caustic about with no eye protection. Same goes for the
morons spraying fence preservative with no mask or eye protection
(although the modern stuff now is so useless at preserving wood that it
probably is harmless if you get it in the eye).

Regards,
Martin Brown