Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
ddaquaria

Default How many Otto's, SAE's etc. do you use?

in article gers.com,
Marvin Hlavac at am wrote on 10/24/02 8:39 PM:

"ddaquaria" wrote

Otos; 1-3 per 5 gallons
SAE: 1 per 20 gallons
Amano Shrimp : as many as I can afford
Singapore Shrimp: no more than 2 per tank

This is how I set up my 120s.
big D

Hi big D

I'm contemplating not keeping Otto's in the future. Instead I plant to have
SAE's only. Many people however like to keep both. Do you think Otto's can
serve
some purpose even though SAE's are in your tank already?

Marvin

I use SAE to control black brush or any other weird hard to get rid of
algae. I use Otos as my cleaning crew for soft algae. I have over 450W
running each 120Gal, and the only algaes that are in my tank is green spot
on the glass and black spot in directly lit areas. Therefore I can only
conclude that my cleaning crew is doing its job - as well as I'm doing my
job keeping the tank in balance.

I think Otos do serve a purpose, but since they eat so little you just don't
notice sometimes. If you replaced otos with some type of algae eating plxco
then I could understand. I don't use plxcs in my plant tanks since everyone
of them has eaten my swords. (please no responses with "my plxco doesn't
eat my swords" or "do you have any driftwood in the tank for them" -
Remember mileage may vary)

Hope that helps a little.

big D
--
Remove the word ³REMOVE² to reply to me.

Check out my fish site @
http://homepage.mac.com/tx_longhorn/ddaquaria/

Or just a whole lot of macro and aquarium pictures @
http://homepage.mac.com/ddaquaria/