Old 02-06-2010, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Tree roots - can I cut them at all?

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 07:07:47 -0400, Steve Kind
wrote:

20+ years ago I planted a silver birch sapling which is now a beautul
mature tree and the pride of my garden.

At the same time I laid a york stone patio right next to it.
Unfortunately (if not surprisingly!) the tree roots have lifted and
tilted several of the flagstones to the point that the patio is
positively dangerous & needs to be re-laid

Can I cut back problem roots from the birch at all?? or do I have to
raise the whole patio by the three inches necessary to clear them???

Any advice gratefully received

I'd shift the patio over to accomodate the tree. Do not pile dirt on
the root area or you will kill the tree.