Old 02-06-2010, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Tomatoes Determinate and Indeterminate, Bush or Vine

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Jeff Thies wrote:
I don't have a good grasp of tomatoes.

My rough guess is that ancestral tomatoes were indeterminate and very
viney things.

Something here on that, and the lack of real genetic diversity:

http://caliber.ucpress.net/doi/pdf/1...c.2010.10.2.40

Jeff

And we share about 99% of our genetic make-up with chimpanzees, and 70%
with earthworms. We do, after all, come from the same bowl of soup.

As for the tomato, like everything else, it's location, location,
location.
http://caliber.ucpress.net/doi/pdf/1...c.2010.10.2.40
--
- Billy