Old 03-06-2010, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Tree roots - can I cut them at all?

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 19:47:49 -0400, Steve Kind
wrote:

Thanks for the replies - I strongly suspected that root surgery was not
an option! but raising the patio is going to be a BIG job -
unfortunately, replacing the affected flags with benches / planters etc.
won't do the job - about 20% of the flags have lifted to some extent
along two differnt lines. Might be able to remove a couple of flags
closest to the tree. Likewise, moving the patio is not an option - it is
trapped between the tree and a wall on the south, the house on the
northe, a wall on the west and the conservatory on the east!!

If I do raise the whole patio it will involve a 3-inch layer of sand
accross the whole area - I'm a bit disturbed by the suggestion that this
might in itself damage the tree I'm pretty certain the tree now has
it's full growth and no further movement of the patio surface has taken
place for a couple of years.

Healthy trees really don't stop growing. You're not noticing further
root development due to heavy foot traffic around the tree, soil
compaction will greatly shorten its life. Raising the soil level
within ten feet of the tree will ensure it's demise. A masonary
patio/walkway around any tree is a bad idea. Some people erect a low
wooden deck around trees over the affected portion of the patio...
some install a decorative wrought iron grate around a tree, composed
of many panels... regardless I'd remove those stones... I'd remove all
those stones to use elsewhere and erect proper decking. You'd get
much better advice were you to post pictures... without actually
seeing what you're talking about all anyone can offer is wild
speculation.