Old 03-06-2010, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Best alternative to Sodium Chlorate?

In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

So you may as well use common salt as people have suggested.

Twaddle. That is NOT an effective weedkiller in the UK, as the
rainfall is too high.

Cooking salt keeps my path clear of weeds but it needs to be applied
dry three or four times a year. The path is not pointed and so would
be very likely to have weeds in the cracks. The salt gets washed away
by the rain but that does not stop it working.

Yes, but it won't kill established weeds! Preventing small ones from
establishing is relatively easy. Once they have their roots down,
all it will do is to burn off the tops - even sodium chlorate isn't
all that effective against established weeds.

I tried salt, and found that it was pretty hopeless, but it is
likely that its effectiveness will depend on conditions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.