Old 03-06-2010, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_2_] Ian B[_2_] is offline

Default Dying Ajuga

Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Ian B
writes
But anyway the roots seemed fine and the compost was moist. But the
whole top of the plant is dead, basically.

Any more ideas, Janet or anyone?

Ian

Well you could cut everything right back to almost soil level, then
pot it up on it's own in a pot to see if it revives but quite frankly
Ajuga is such a strong grower most people yank bits out of their beds
rather than put it in! I am sure someone will have a piece to give
you to replace it.

Well I can probably replace it, but I'm more worried about the question of
what killed it. It was doing fine then literally it suddenly keeled over,
between one day and the next. The stems all seem to be very withered right
at the soil level so I'm wondering if it's this "crown rot" I have found
referred to on the interwebs, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.

I can't find any wine weevils so far as I can tell, and three nearby
heucheras are doing fine, though I also have a pulmonaria which is rather
ill and has gone a funny dark green colour but I'm not sure if it's supposed
to do that.

Ian