Old 03-06-2010, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
OhioGuy OhioGuy is offline

Default making my own landscape timbers??

You have left out a key item. What kind of timber are these posts?

I am going to have to assume they are pine. Note that I don't need
them to last "long", just "longer". I can put them out there with
nothing more than a stain and probably get 2-3, or even 4 years out of
them if I don't care how they look, and focus only on functionality.
That is especially if I secure them by pounding small pieces of rebar
down through the pieces. (bent at a 90 degree angle at the top)

I'd just prefer that it have *some* sort of protective soaked into
the wood.

I may have to go back and look at a book I read from the library
about a year ago. It was from the 70's, and focused on building a wood
log home with no foundation. (deep posts only) There was a recipe in
there for making your own "log dip", which I think was a kind of
creosote preservative. I believe they dipped the wood in the trough for
a couple of days, then let it dry in the air & sun for another couple of
days before use.