Old 03-06-2010, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] despen@verizon.net is offline

Default making my own landscape timbers??

Ohioguy writes:

You have left out a key item. What kind of timber are these posts?

I am going to have to assume they are pine. Note that I don't need
them to last "long", just "longer". I can put them out there with
nothing more than a stain and probably get 2-3, or even 4 years out of
them if I don't care how they look, and focus only on
functionality. That is especially if I secure them by pounding small
pieces of rebar down through the pieces. (bent at a 90 degree angle at
the top)

I'd just prefer that it have *some* sort of protective soaked into
the wood.

I may have to go back and look at a book I read from the library
about a year ago. It was from the 70's, and focused on building a
wood log home with no foundation. (deep posts only) There was a
recipe in there for making your own "log dip", which I think was a
kind of creosote preservative. I believe they dipped the wood in the
trough for a couple of days, then let it dry in the air & sun for
another couple of days before use.

If you want to dispose of the wood, just leave it lying on the ground.
Depending on the climate, insects, etc, it could be gone in as little
as 3 years.

Most lumber yards take returns.

If you are going to spend any time fabricating this, get the right
wood, pressure treated rated for ground contact.