Old 03-06-2010, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID help, please

In message , kay
writes

Malcolm;889567 Wrote:
A friend found a solitary plant in woodland on Islay yesterday which
neither she nor I can identify. On the assumption that it is a garden
escape - there are gardens within a few hundred yards - I'm asking for
help here.

I think your wife is right, it's Wood Avens, Geum rivale.

Geum rivale is water avens; wood avens is Geum urbanum.

It's very given to strange flower forms - whether through hybridisation
or just as sports, I'm not sure.

The hybrid between the two species, Geum x intermedium, is said to be
fairly common, and fertile, leading to all sorts of intermediates.
(Round here Geum urbanum is ubiquitous, but I only know of two sites for
Geum rivale, and I'm not familiar with the hybrid.)

I have a plant in my garden which has a
double flower just like yours at the moment, although all the other
flowers on the plant are single. And I have a photograph of one at Salt
Lake Nature Reserve in the Yorkshire Dales which was cristate, with
leaf
segments among the petals - just the one plant growing amongst many
other wood avens of normal type.

I think I remember wood avens from around Ardtalla, along with a lizard
basking on a rock, and swimming with seals in the sheltered bay. But it
was a long time ago!

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley