Old 03-06-2010, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Ribes (floweing currant)

] wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
: I have a self seeded one in front of my window and it needs a severe
pruning
: or I soon won't be able to see out.
: When I looked at it yesterday it has peculiar white growths on some of
the
: stems, small, like tiny balls and when I pick them off there is
something
: brown in the middle of it.
: Any ideas what this is?

Hello Tina,

Woolly Aphid is a possibility. Does they look anything like
http://www.gardenseeker.com/plant_pe...5578XSmall.jpg ?

Regards
Tom.

Hi, Tom

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it looks very similar except not so extensive,
it's just dotted about on the older stems.
I just went out, picked one off and squashed it, whatever the brown thing
inside is, it has blood.
Why does it happen and what can I do about it? I have another similar plant
in the back garden which is not affected.
Thanks

Tina