Old 03-06-2010, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Wolstenholme Stephen Wolstenholme is offline

Default Best alternative to Sodium Chlorate?

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 17:38:49 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 03/06/2010 12:40, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 12:28:50 +0100 (BST), wrote:

Cooking salt keeps my path clear of weeds but it needs to be applied
dry three or four times a year. The path is not pointed and so would
be very likely to have weeds in the cracks. The salt gets washed away
by the rain but that does not stop it working.

Grit rock salt would be cheaper and a heck of a lot more environmentally
friendly. Do you have any idea how much additional energy goes into
making food grade refined and recrystallised salt?

I used rock salt previously but for some reason it does not work as
well as refined salt. It also leaves a bit of a mess on the path which
I assume is all the insoluble part of the "rock". Rocksalt is great
for gravel paths but not for stone paths.

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software Ltd
www.NPSL1.com