Old 04-06-2010, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Is stored water safe for leafed crops

In article ,
says...

phorbin wrote:

A neighbour of ours built a stepped settling system of buckets for his
rain catchment. By the time the water got to the last step, it was
clear.

You don't, by chance, have details or a link to photos do you? I'm
considering such a tiered settling system myself for use with a roof
catchment and above-ground storage.

Was going over draft postings and found this.

Afraid Walt's long gone and so is the system...

It harvested the water from his garage.

It was a pretty simple 2x4 somewhat overbuilt structure supporting 2
banks of 4 or 5 salvaged food grade 5 gallon buckets with each bank
stairstepping down from 2 downspouts toward the middle at about 8 inches
a step.

--Except for the catchment each bucket had a 2 inch plastic pipe set
into it below the lip which poured into the next bucket. The pipe may
have been sealed in place with silicone sealant.

What I felt was missing was some way of excluding insects and
critters.

I'd guess that there's an optimum bucket size and number to allow
settling and not retain too much water in the system.