Old 04-06-2010, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default bay tree thoughts

What would you do with a bay tree that had been allowed to go its own
way and is now about 35 foot high and also very wide, stuck in the
middle of a shrubbery?
I'd like to tame it a bit and they owners don't mind either way (I do
their garden once a week) as it is pushing into some really nice shrubs
but honestly, can you even attempt to chop this down to normal bay tree
size (well I mean normal as in most sensible people's idea of size)

Janet

PS. They have THE most fantastic foliage tree which they have no idea
what it is, it is slightly fastigate, and I can't reach the leaves yet
but will try next week. It's about 30 foot tall and pure yellow gold at
the moment. The light coming from it is intense as it's like it's bathed
in sunshine at the back of this border. It looks slightly like an elm or
maybe something similar,
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph