Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
paul

Default Tank--plant, goldfish problems

Lethargy: one lies on the bottom not moving around much while the other is
more active and has appetite. I tested for ammonia with a tetra test kit
that's about 5 years old. No ammonia. However, there was a slight reaction
to nitrite, nothing much. And pH was about 7.3. I have good NYC water so
there can't be anything really out of line. I looked at them with a
magnifying lens and they seem to have a few small white spots so maybe it's
ich. The shop I got them at is not a very good place to buy fish but it is
the only one in my neighborhood. So maybe they came sick although they
looked fine at first.

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Check your nitrite and ammonia. If you don't want to spend money on test

kits,
take a water sample to your LFS, and they can do the tests for you.

My tanks are heavily planted, with power compact flourescent lighting and

CO2
injection, but I would still monitor the water parameters, if I were

adding
that many fish to a tank that size, all at once.

As for the philodendron...it is poisonous to mammals. Not sure about

fish, but
a lot of people use it in their goldfish tanks and ponds, with no ill

effects.

What symptoms are your fish showing?

Leigh