Old 04-06-2010, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default My Feelings About Organic

On Jun 3, 11:08*pm, (EVP MAN) wrote:
Organic is good as long as you can eliminate all the other toxins in
your life which I feel is impossible. *The air we breathe is toxic. *If
you eat meat, *was that steak you just had raised on organic grain? *Was
that beef steer injected with a growth hormone? *How about the water you
drink? *I'm sure you wouldn't think of drinking tap water with all the
chemicals added such as chlorine and fluoride to help save your teeth.
OK, *so it's spring water you purchase as the local grocery market
instead. *Does that mean that there are no chemicals leeching into the
spring through the ground? *The plastic bottle that the water came in,
does it contain any toxins that could harm you? *My point being, *some
people carry organic to the extreme! *Now I'm not saying organic is a
bad thing! *I guess the best part of it is the fact that you can live
organic and die healthy

Rich

NOTE: There's an economic factor here, as you no doubt have surmised.
Every con artist in the food business labels products "pure",
"natural",
etc. -- totally meaningless terms. Anything to entice the clueless
purchaser.

That's not questioning the bona fides of REAL organic producers, such
as
the growers who truck their produce into our four weekly farmers'
markets.
They are very closely supervised and monitored.

Just saying that "organic" is widely misunderstood and probably
often misapplied.

A little research into the nomenclature could yield some interesting
information!
Presumably the below is the gold standard.

National Organic Program
www.ams.usda.gov/nop
202-720-3252

Persephone