Old 04-06-2010, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Onion sets

On Jun 4, 6:37*am, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
zxcvbob said:

A few of my onion sets have sent up flower stalks. *Should I pull them
now for green onions, or will the bulbs continue to grow? *(I know they
won't keep if I harvest them in the fall)

I'd pull the ones with flower stalks for green onions while the stalks are
still tender.

Next year I'll sort them by size before planting, and only plant the
tiny ones shallow in a row for big onions, and plant the bigger ones
deep and in a bunch for green onions.

I know seeds is the way to grow big onions, but I haven't had much luck
with that -- except one year when I planted leeks...

Onion seed needs to be very fresh for good germination. *

Seedling onions transplant pretty easily, so can be started in pots.
Wash the potting soil off the roots and tease the plants apart, but
don't get too paranoid about saving all the roots. *The little onions
are pretty tough. *(It helps keep things managable if you trim the
tops back a bit a week or so before you intend to plant them out.)

Or, you can mail order bundles of onion seedlings. (This is what
I do now, after years of starting them from seeds.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." * * --Largo Potter, Valkyria *Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

My wife lets some of the onions stay in the ground over the winter.
We're in the Baltimore area so it does freeze around here, although
not as severe as Michigan. She digs up the onions in the spring as
needed for the table.

Paul