Old 04-06-2010, 04:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Bruce Bruce is offline

Default advice sought on buying a plot to farm self-sufficiently & live on

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 14:15:25 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:
Bruce wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 12:31:07 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:
Bruce wrote:
others don't like being pressured by society into eating
things that they don't believe people should eat.

Broccoli for one

I adore broccoli. I eat it at least three times a week.

Nothing that smells that bad when cooking can possibly be fit for human
consumption. Small sprigs picked daily from the garden are just about
edible doused with butter and salt, but the giant stumps they sell in
supermarkets are just evil.

I cook it for 6 minutes in a microwave steamer. It smells fine to me,
but if you really don't like something, I suppose even the slightest
hint of it is awful.

My big love is dried fruit. You know it's picked only when fully ripened
and, without the water, it can be shipped cheaply at any time of year.
Makes more sense to me than flying unripe, tasteless fruit halfway
across the world.

I also like dried fruit. Apricots are a particular favourite, also
that good old fallback, California raisins.

I have relatives in South Africa. When I was a kid, they used to send
us a large box of crystallised fruit each Christmas - they never
posted early, so it used to arrive in February. But it was exquisite,
with each fruit looking like a scaled down version of itself, which of
course it was - dried and sweetened. Probably expensive.

The relative who used to send them died when I was about 20 so I
haven't tasted them for 35 years. But there is a South African owned
shop near me. My wife often calls in there for some of the unusual
food and snacks they have. A couple of weeks ago she brought home
some fruit sweets. They were thin, flat squares of what looked like
jelly, but as soon as I tasted them I realised they were made from the
same crystallised fruit I have loved as a child. Delicious!

But don't ever - EVER - give me cauliflower!

Not even with 90% cheese content?

I must admit I had a girlfriend who made wonderful cauliflower cheese.
She used lots of strong cheese and also had the most beautiful eyes,
which helped me forget completely that I was eating cauliflower. She
could have fed me almost anything ... and probably did. Sigh. ;-)