Old 04-06-2010, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_2_] Ian B[_2_] is offline

Default ID Bugs On Roses Please?

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Ian B" wrote...
Found two yesterday, and just found another one on a different bush
today. The bug is quite big and conspicuous- about 5mm or so long.
It has wings. The head and upper body are black, the lower body is
bright orange and soft; if I squash one, it appears to be orange
inside(!) like a sac of soft orange stuff.

They appear to travel down the stem leaving a black stripe- either
cutting a stripe or laying eggs in a line inside(?), can't easily
tell. Any idea what they are, and if so, are they harmful? I've never
seen
one before, but then I've never been a rose gardener before, kind of
thing. Any ID gratefully appreciated.

Sounds like the Rose Slugworm or Rose Slug-sawfly. the lavae are
yellow-green and caterpillar shaped and will eat the top of the leaf.
This Sawfly does not roll the leaf or, usually, eat the underside of
the leaf unlike a lot of other Sawflys.
Confirm it by checking the photos on...
http://bluewisteria.co.uk/pest/pest_...e+sawfly+larve

Thanks Bob, that looks like the chappie!

Should I remove and destroy those areas that have been "striped" by the
sawflies? Are they lines of eggs?

Ian