Old 04-06-2010, 07:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] hanrahan398@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default advice sought on buying a plot to farm self-sufficiently & liveon

On Jun 3, 11:36*pm, Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/06/10 22:42, Frank Erskine wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 21:16:11 +0100, Tim *wrote:

You really need dairy even if you
don't eat the cow (well, not until it's getting past it). I suppose a
goat would be an more manageable option for milk. And I can't see how
you could survive without some hens (eggs and meat).

FWIW, I'm vegetarian but not vegan and while I don't take milk
(preferring the soya alternative), I eat eggs and various foods that
contain milk products. The reasons I don't want to keep livestock
include wanting to minimise the extent to which officialdom may poke
its nose in, and also because I've still got a lot to learn about
agriculture! :-) However my wife may be able to persuade me at some
point that having a cow would be worthwhile to supply milk for cheese-
making...

Michael