Old 04-06-2010, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How do I get two main stems per tomato plant?

On Sun, 30 May 2010 13:29:04 -0400, (EVP MAN)
wrote:

My tomatoes this season will be tied to stakes and I'd like to prune
them to produce two main stems. I'm not sure if I allow the sucker to
grow above the first flower cluster OR is it the sucker below the
cluster? I tried to research this but get different answers. Some
sites say the sucker above the flower cluster while others say below.
Maybe it doesn't matter but I'm a bit confused. Last season it wasn't
an issue as I pinched off all suckers only allowing one main stem. I
want to try two stems this year to boost my harvest a bit.

Rich from PA

Tomatoes are vines, and that is their behavior. If you want to boost
production allow the tomato to vine on the ground protecting the fruit
with a straw mulch. Staking tomatoes is an ideal method for
restricted space areas. Remove the bottom or two clusters, that's all
you need. Most tomatoes will produce many branches--I do not prune
after removing the bottom two suckers. This is the second year I am
feeding my tomato plants (and 21 pepper plants) epsom salts (1 T per 2
gallon water) once a week. You can also increase yields using
companion planting, I suggest borage (bee plant).