Old 04-06-2010, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cucumber leaves riddled with holes

On Mon, 31 May 2010 13:20:33 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

Well it looks like my little garden is under full scale onslaught. I must
have just had dumb luck last year. So now my young cucumber leaves are
heavily damaged. Last night they were fine, this morning they look like a
doily. The damage is pretty extensive. What insect did this? I could see
no slug trails anywhere. Can the plants survive with about 50% leaf area
destroyed? I noticed a few of my pepper plants have leaves with large holes
in them that were also not there yesterday. I don't see the slugs getting
to those leaves so it must be something else.

Slugs are voracious at night, hide during the day under rocks, logs,
mulch, etc. Use a flashlight and check your plants at 11 pm. Check
for slime trails. We got 6" banana slugs here and they are only
seen at night. Sometimes a gardener needs to be a detective.