Old 05-06-2010, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Whisky Barrel Pond - Mozzie larvae.

"Jill Bell" wrote in message
I've recently made a small pond from half an old whisky barrel. One small
water lily, couple of good clumps of oxygenating weed and an iris. Once
the water cleared I tried introducing a couple of fish, but they clearly
weren't happy (permanently drunk and hungover, possibly?) and have been
successfully rehomed in a friend's pond.
However, although the fish weren't happy, the mozzie larvae obviously
are - there are thousands of them, and I can see that when they fledge
into grown-up mozzies I'm going to have a house full of the little
blighters.
Any suggestions how I can get rid of them safely - both dog and cat are
partial to a drink from the barrel?

Jill

Borrow one or two of the fish back. They'll clear it in no time.

Steve