Old 05-06-2010, 11:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Bruce Bruce is offline

Default advice sought on buying a plot to farm self-sufficiently & live on

On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 07:33:43 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

However my wife may be able to persuade me at some
point that having a cow would be worthwhile to supply milk for cheese-
making...

Having done it in the past, I can recommend keeping a goat or two for
milk, meat, and keeping the grass trimmed. They're not too hard to keep
and are fairly tough creatures for the most part. Just don't let them
near any rhododendrons though - they love them, but the leaves are
fatal.

From experience, I would recommend two goats over one.

Especially if you want any sleep, because one lonely goat will make
your life hell ... 24/7.

In our case, the problem was completely solved with a second goat, and
no more grass cutting!