Old 25-02-2003, 11:39 AM

Default Nigeria and travel thereto

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message
I've been asked to teach a class in Nigeria for a week or two at the end
of May (at University of Ibadan). Not sure if I should accept the offer
or not. All expenses paid, that isn't the problem. But, if you read
what the US State department says (about any country that isn't the US),
you get the distinct impression that you should stay home and stockpile
duct tape and plastic. I already have plenty of those items, although I
never considered them anti-terror weapons...

[snip]

You do realize, I hope, that we (the US, heck, the world) is in a very
quickly changing situation regarding war and terrorism. Not that I'm trying
to fan your fears, but just realize that if you say yes today, tomorrow you
may be saying no....

Here is the BBC profile on the country:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/co...es/1064557.stm which I
suggest you read. It has links to the local newspapers.

Nigeria is considered strategically important to the west because of its
significant oil production. With the riots in Venezuela and war in the Gulf
expect Nigeria to watched closely by the oil traders, foreign governments
and terrorist organizations.

-dan