Old 05-06-2010, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PtePike[_3_] PtePike[_3_] is offline

Default Weed free garden anyone?

Janet Baraclough wrote in
:

The message
from David in Normandy contains these
words:

Does anyone have a weed free garden? I keep hoeing mine as they
appear and certainly before they get to seed but there must be a huge
number of seeds already in the soil. After a good shower of rain a
blanket of them always appears. Mainly chickweed. I've heard the old
saying "One years seeds seven years weeds". Has anyone had a long
established garden that is now weed free?

No, but I have managed to vastly reduce certain weeds. Each year I
choose one for The Purge, and focus on preventing it
seeding/propagating . This year it's the turn of dandelions, last
year was shepherds purse and the year before was plantain.
It does make a real difference to their ongoing populations in
subsequent years.

Janet.

Did you do any good against the dandelions?
If so how did you do it?
They are for me the BIGGEST pest in the weed catalouge.

Regards
PtePike