Old 05-06-2010, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Urine as fertiliser

Anyone else tried using pee as plant fertiliser?

I read on the Internet that a number of people are using human pee as
plant fertiliser with success. The main things I read were that pee must
be fresh (within 24 hours old) or it starts to break down - if smelly
then it is past its best for plants and fit only as compost accelerator.
The other thing was that it must be diluted to around 1/20 or it can
burn the plants.

So for the first time this year I've been saving pee and mixing it 1
part pee to around 20 parts rain-butt water and the results are quite
promising. The potatoes are thriving and growing faster than previous
years. Lifted the first couple of roots today (variety Daisy) and had a
reasonable yield (enough on two roots for four good portions) the
potatoes were very tasty too. Maybe slightly sweeter tasting than last
year, but hard to be sure - the first taste of home grown new potatoes
each year is always wonderful anyway.

I guess that all greedy feeding vegetables will benefit? Maybe the
runner beans and courgettes? Not sure if brassicas would like it though?
The only plant that didn't seem to benefit was strawberries, it seemed
to stunt the growth of the plants a bit.

Note that the dilute pee doesn't make the garden smell at all, maybe
because it is so dilute and gets absorbed into the soil quickly.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.