Old 05-06-2010, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
piedmont[_3_] piedmont[_3_] is offline

Default Tomatoes

On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 12:44:01 -0700, Billy wrote:

In article , piedmont
wrote:

I have a tiny garden, actually one bush tomato in a 10 gallon pot. Well
I'm fed up with the commercial tomatoes, year after year I get nothing!
This year instead of an indeterminate I went with a bush. Getting
rampant bottom rot, tomato turns black on bottom and works all the way
up, I added calcium as in crushed up tums, I fertilize with special
tomato fertilizer and have watered frequently. Its not too late to get
another already started tomato, any suggestions!

I remember as a kid tomatoes were easy and always good. What the heck
can I do! I want tomato this year!!!!!!

Next year I'm going back to Amish Heritage!!!!!!!

This may clear up on its own, but that doesn't seem likely since you
have a determinant tomato. Sounds like you're screwed. Being a
determinant tomato, and that it's producing fruit, it is setting all the
fruit that you are going to get now.

Do you have enough time to start another tomato? Is there a nursery near
you where you could get a Stupice or an Early Girl?

Where are you?

Let's try and figure out where you jumped the tracks here.

What tomato are you growing? (Better Bush)

What is the potting soil? (Standard Potting Soil from Walmart)

What kind of fertilizer did you use? (9-12-12 Pennington)

Have you worked the soil in the pot since the tomato has been in it(Yes)

How
warm is it there? (Gets sun all day until 4 PM)
Does the pot itself get full sun (warmth of soil)? You're using 4" pine

bark mulch in the pot? (mini pine bark nuggets)

Blossom end rot can be caused by drought
conditions, but it sounds as if you may be over-watering, which would
lead to cracked skins like you had before.

I wait until the soil feels dry then add 1 gallon.

from the get go, everyone has turned black.

Here is a picture of the pot/plant.

Mistakes are costly, but they are more costly, if you can't learn from
them.

--
regards, piedmont ~ the practical bbq'r!

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/