Old 05-06-2010, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Whisky Barrel Pond - Mozzie larvae.

"kay" wrote in message

'Jill Bell[_2_ Wrote:
;889884']I've recently made a small pond from half an old whisky barrel.
One
small water lily, couple of good clumps of oxygenating weed and an iris.

Once the water cleared I tried introducing a couple of fish, but they
clearly weren't happy (permanently drunk and hungover, possibly?) and
have been successfully rehomed in a friend's pond.
However, although the fish weren't happy, the mozzie larvae obviously
are - there are thousands of them, and I can see that when they fledge
into grown-up mozzies I'm going to have a house full of the little
blighters.
Any suggestions how I can get rid of them safely - both dog and cat are

partial to a drink from the barrel?

Will they cause a problem for the dog or cat?

Frogs and newts would see to the mozzie larvae, but if the water
conditions aren't yet right for the fish they might not be OK for frogs
and newts. If on the other hand it's just the particular fish that you
tried which aren't happy, you could always try something like
sticklebacks.

I would agree with finding yourself some sticklebacks - they will polish
mozzie larva off, quick time. When they've done that, you can put them back
where you got them from.
When I was a child I had a pet female stickleback for a while and I fed her
on mozzie larva all the time - until I put her back into her pond
eventually.
Tina