Old 06-06-2010, 12:52 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Bruce Bruce is offline

Default advice sought on buying a plot to farm self-sufficiently & live on

On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 23:49:20 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 05/06/10 23:34, Bruce wrote:
On 5 Jun 2010 20:38:44 wrote:
In uk.rec.gardening wrote:
I must admit I had a girlfriend who made wonderful cauliflower cheese.
She used lots of strong cheese and also had the most beautiful eyes,
Ok, for a moment then I thought we were getting the most odd (and not
vegetarian) cauliflower cheese recipe ever!

I'm sorry to disappoint you.
(I have said that to *so many* women!)

I think I can honestly say that I'm more relieved than disappointed!

I did eat sheep's eyes once, in Jordan. They are supposed to be a
delicacy, but I was very sick afterwards.

I wouldn't have waited...

I didn't wait long. Only as long as it took me to sprint to the loo.

A also tried sheep's brain, first boiled and then deep fried. The
boiled was hideous, but deep fried wasn't bad at all.

If in doubt, fry it - or BBQ it to charcoal. Seems to sort most
objectionable things out...

That's true. The deep fried was a bit like that. I got extra brownie
points having previously brought up the sheep's eyes.

All this was thanks to a Jordanian friend who took me to a restaurant
in Amman that serves traditional Arab cuisine. Never again! ;-)

Not that adventurous ie would never eat without a reliable guide

he definitely wasn't a reliable guide. We drove through Amman in my
VW camper with him shooting into the air through the passenger window.
The only reason that we didn't get arrested was that he was a police
officer.

in southern china - though I might manage snake which they eat. But flour
rolled fly maggots is just off, even if they are deep fried - which is
an actual dish, claims the northern chinese person (so might be a myth).

Plausible. I watched a show where Gordon Ramsay was touring India,
making a complete arse of himself as usual, and he went to a remote
village where they made an especially hot relish. He found it was
made from red ants.

I did get a + point in the north for diving in to boiled blood-tofu. Had
the missus explain I like black pudding, so it wasn't really an alien
concept.

I like black pudding too, but my real favourite is Irish white
pudding. Much the same, just lighter - in more ways than just the
colour! I haven't had it for ages, but I think Morrisons used to
stock it. Perhaps they still do, but they used to stock a Polish
Kabanos which was a particular favourite of mine, and since the Poles
invaded they don't seem to stock it any more. Pity.

I suppose it's what you are brought up on. I like cockles and whelks -
but if you really look at them, they are hideously ugly little buggers.

Eww. Can't stand them. I do like oysters, though. I particularly
like lobster but it doesn't seem to like me - my mouth and throat
swell alarmingly. So I mostly stick to crab in brown bread and
butter.