Old 06-06-2010, 12:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Tomatoes

In article , piedmont
wrote:

I have a tiny garden, actually one bush tomato in a 10 gallon pot.
Well I'm fed up with the commercial tomatoes, year after year I get
nothing! This year instead of an indeterminate I went with a bush.
Getting rampant bottom rot, tomato turns black on bottom and works all
the way up, I added calcium as in crushed up tums, I fertilize with
special tomato fertilizer and have watered frequently. Its not too late
to get another already started tomato, any suggestions!

I remember as a kid tomatoes were easy and always good. What the heck can
I do! I want tomato this year!!!!!!

Next year I'm going back to Amish Heritage!!!!!!!

"At least once a week, it is advisable to leach all the unused
fertilizer out of the soil mix by watering with tap water. Add
sufficient water to the container to cause free drainage from the
bottom. This practice will prevent any buildup of injurious materials in
the soil mix.
Occasionally, it is a good idea to water with a nutrient solution
containing minor elements. Use a water-soluble fertilizer containing
iron, zinc, boron and manganese, and follow label directions."

Found in

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/e...container.htmL

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden