Old 06-06-2010, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jill Bell[_3_] Jill Bell[_3_] is offline

Default problem with Acer leaves?

On 06/06/2010 10:10, sheila wrote:
Hi, this is our first Acer, its a Acer Japonica Orange Dream. we have had it
for 8 weeks, its about 3ft tall, and the end of some of the leaves are
turning brown, around the edges the top ones are beginning to wither, its in
a large pot,

I'll try and root out a photo if that description isn't good enough, thanks.
I'm in Formby, north west of England, about a mile from the coast, but
fairly sheltered. Its in part shade in the morning, and sun in the late
afternoon and evening.

Sheila.

It sounds as if it may be failing to take up sufficient water to cope
with what it's losing through its leaves. A lot of nursery grown acers
are produced in shade houses, so have a root ball of the right size to
cope with these conditions, but put it outside with full sun for part of
the day and it can't cope. Wind scorch may also be playing a part.

Try moving it to a more shaded spot, if you haven't potted it on, move
it to a bit larger pot when it's had chance to settle into it's new
surroundings.

Jill