Old 06-06-2010, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
martin martin is offline

Default Urine as fertiliser

On 2010-06-05 22:10:48 +0100, Dave Hill
said:

On 5 June, 19:34, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 19:34:20 +0200, David in Normandy

wrote:
Anyone else tried using pee as plant fertiliser?

I read on the Internet that a number of people are using human pee as
plant fertiliser with success. The main things I read were that pee
must
be fresh (within 24 hours old) or it starts to break down - if smelly
then it is past its best for plants and fit only as compost
accelerator.
The other thing was that it must be diluted to around 1/20 or it can
burn the plants.

While I can see the need for diluting it, I don't see why it has to be
fresh. Pee contains urea, among other things, which itself is a good
nitrogenous fertiliser. If kept for a few days, bacteria will break
down the urea to ammonia (think unflushed men's public toilets on a
hot summer day!), which is also a good fertiliser, although I suppose
it is more volatile that urea, so some of it may be lost to the air.
But not much, I wouldn't think, as it's very soluble in water.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

I wonder how much medication passes through the body to come out in
the urine, Then to be taken up by the plants?
David Hill

Probably quite a lot! There have been articles on how much effect the
female contraceptive pill has on fish!

So it is not over fishing that has seriously depleted fish stocks )

Any articles about the effect of viagara on climbing plants?

We have a honeysuckle that has grown a metre vertically unsupported in
the last 8 weeks.