Old 06-06-2010, 02:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
The Medway Handyman[_2_] The Medway Handyman[_2_] is offline

Default advice sought on buying a plot to farm self-sufficiently & live on

Zhang Dawei wrote:
In article ,
says...
[...]
Not that adventurous ie would never eat without a reliable guide in
southern china - though I might manage snake which they eat. But
flour rolled fly maggots is just off, even if they are deep fried -
which is an actual dish, claims the northern chinese person (so
might be a myth).

I did get a + point in the north for diving in to boiled blood-tofu.
Had the missus explain I like black pudding, so it wasn't really an
alien concept.

The diet of Chinese people gets its inspiration and roots from the
times of famine, when anything that moved and was vaguely edible
could be eaten, and often was.

Thats classic! No problem in China with snake, deep fried gutted frogs,
boiled blood tofu, bee larva, donkey meat, dog, "stinky tofu", pigs' ears &
chicken feet - and you get hospitalised by a plate of cockles from Selly
Oak!

Wonderful!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman