Old 06-06-2010, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default problem with Acer leaves?

On 06/06/2010 11:10 AM, sheila wrote:
Hi, this is our first Acer, its a Acer Japonica Orange Dream. we have had it
for 8 weeks, its about 3ft tall, and the end of some of the leaves are
turning brown, around the edges the top ones are beginning to wither, its in
a large pot,

I'll try and root out a photo if that description isn't good enough, thanks.
I'm in Formby, north west of England, about a mile from the coast, but
fairly sheltered. Its in part shade in the morning, and sun in the late
afternoon and evening.

Sheila.

Hi Sheila,

The name of your plant is Acer palmatum 'Orange Dream', not "japonica",
it was apparently mislabeled.

This plant can barely take afternoon sun under the best of
circumstances. In a pot, you're seeing the result. Move it into the
dappled shade or to someplace where it gets morning (only) light, your
problem will clear up.

With respect to Jill, don't over water it, that will kill it just as
sure as not enough. The pot is fine, a bigger pot will be harder to
drain and it will be susceptible to unhappy roots.

Looks like it should be fine. This is a very lovely plant and justly
popular. Note that without root pruning it risks to get pretty big,
though, even in a pot.

-E