Old 06-06-2010, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
aquachimp aquachimp is offline

Default Weed free garden anyone?

On Jun 5, 1:56*pm, Jill Bell wrote:
On 05/06/2010 12:38, David in Normandy wrote:

Does anyone have a weed free garden? I keep hoeing mine as they appear
and certainly before they get to seed but there must be a huge number of
seeds already in the soil. After a good shower of rain a blanket of them
always appears. Mainly chickweed. I've heard the old saying "One years
seeds seven years weeds". Has anyone had a long established garden that
is now weed free?

Immpossible! Because, not only are there the weeds that blow in from
over the fields and are dropped by the birds but there are all the
'weeds' I've introduced myself - before I knew better, or in some cases
just because I like them........ the aquilegia (now reverted to mucky
pink)

Still working on getting their seedlings to survive. Only a couple
made it from last year.

, the Alchemilla mollis,

Never made it to the second year.

the poached egg plant,

Wouldn't stand a chance.

the Welsh poppies,

Would've been ideal... alas, just wouldn't.

the celandines

Ah, now those I didn't try, not that they'd make it. Too dry.

, the grape hyacinths

Ah, now a few did make it, but the buggers just refuse to spread. But
at least they've manage to flower... less luck with the Crocosmias.

, the creeping jenny.

No chance of survival.

There was also a relative of Cleavers, lovely white flower it had;
Very naturalistic, so it looked; But then I happened upon the bright
idea to thin it out a bit just in case...oops, rather thin on the
ground this year;

I do have a bit of Oxalis though.

No chemicals (herbicide/pesticide) used.

That's not to say I can't get anything else to grow here

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2remm45&s=6 and the red thing is a
paeony
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2j49c15&s=6
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2iqhhec&s=6
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=10fuc0k&s=6
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=105cjeh&s=6
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=257qhpz&s=6
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=fp1eo5&s=6
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=110elhv&s=6

Anyone else got a plant that they really wish they hadn't introduced?

I'm trying, I'm trying, I'm trying.!!!