Old 06-06-2010, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default slugs

"JonHorrox" wrote in message

'Jeff Layman[_2_ Wrote:
;888393']It's about time a manufacturer reintroduced methiocarb pellets.
Far more effective than metaldehyde as slugs cannot recover from it, and
it is much more active against snails (which can nullify the dehydrating
effect of metaldehyde by sealing themselves in their shell).

It's funny you should say that, I find that metaldehyde pellets are far
more effective against both slugs and snails in my garden. Also
metaldehyde is much less toxic than methiocarb, which is down right
dangerous!

See this information on wikipedia: 'Methiocarb - Wikipedia, the free
encyclopedia' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methiocarb)
Compared to this: 'Metaldehyde - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'
(http://tinyurl.com/22sceff)

Jon

There is no doubt that methiocarb is more toxic than metaldehyde - but that
usually means it is more effective at what it does, too.

A quick search on Google, using the terms "methiocarb", "metaldehyde", and
"comparison" turns up quite a few results. Although a few report no
difference, the majority show superiority of methiocarb over metaldehyde.

--

Jeff