Old 06-06-2010, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Racquel Darrian Racquel Darrian is offline

Default problem with Acer leaves?

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On 06/06/2010 05:28 PM, Racquel Darrian wrote:
I would just like to say that I have one these and for years it was in a
pot in full sun with no problems at all. It sort of lived on neglect and
was so hardy and tough that I have now planted it in a difficult
position under a palm tree knowing that it will do well no matter what.

You had 'Orange Dream' in a pot in full sun for years, not some other
Acer? That's extraordinary. Still stranger things, right? And of
course 'full sun' in Devon or like is not the same as someplace with a
more continental climate.

Orange Dream is a pretty easy maple, which in some part accounts for
it's popularity -- it was only introduced in 1991 but is now one of the
most available Acers -- along with the fact that it leafs out a couple
of weeks later than the older 'Katsura' and is as such less prone to
late frosts.

But there's no question that this one is very prone to sun burn.

-E

It was a spur of the moment buy. When I got it home I had no where to put it
so I put it in a large pot and forgot about it, giving it a water as I
passed by now and again. I tried to give it to visiting friends but no one
wanted it. It came back fully every year including this year after the very
cold winter. I've never protected it in any way. I finally had a reshuffle
and found a place for it. It's coming on wonderful. I just checked it and
there's no leaf scorch on it and it's in full Bristol Sun.
Maybe I've got a tough one.