Old 06-06-2010, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default Weed free garden anyone?

Sue wrote:
"Jill Bell" wrote
Anyone else got a plant that they really wish they hadn't introduced?

Spanish bluebells.

My only excuse is that at the time I was lead to believe they were
native ones, but now I know better having seen the real deal in flower
along Cornish lanes.

I was once rash enough to introduce orange hawkweed. It's one of my
favourite wild flowers, and of a colour you don't see too often in
British natives; and in the wild it's far from virulent. In the garden,
however, it seemed intent on invading Poland, increasing by seed and a
network of runners. Curiously, its quarters were not at all luxurious:
I'd put it in a problem patch of poor soil and broken shale.

--
Mike.