Old 06-06-2010, 09:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default advice sought on buying a plot to farm self-sufficiently & liveon

On 2010-06-05, wrote:

ISTR you could get fried cockroaches at the Sunday market in bangkok -
not exactly my idea of gourmet food either

And yet I expect you eat prawns ...

The fact that you don't find prawns swimming in the bog, then jumping
out and going for a walk on yer sandwiches probably helps their image ;-

Troo. But then, you don't see what prawns eat in the sea.

Rule #89: When in the slightly more tropical parts of China, don't book
a ground floor hotel room. That roughly halves the amount of wildlife
you'll see...

I wish I could remember the name of the hotel we were booked into in Xian.
The carpets were literally soaked in raw sewage leaking from the toilet. We
left squishy footprints which filled with, er, liquid. Fortunately, someone
else on the tour had been given a suite with multiple bedrooms, so with a
bit of room shuffling, we didn't have to sleep in the sewage room.

Bleeaarrr!

Rule #10: Don't open any windows at night with the room lights on!

That's true anywhere in the tropics.

And I reserved rules #1-9 as I'm sure there are worse things... I only
went as far south as Henan (2 provinces down from Mongolia) and the
switch in climate from Shanxi was quite marked. I like Datong - fairly
"English" summers, though just a tad hotter, but dryish. Relative lack
of crappy crawlies too :#)

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.