Old 07-06-2010, 01:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Phyllis and Jim Phyllis and Jim is offline

Default Deer education

I put out my deer education materials yesterday. 60 small pieces of
tin foil with scrunched peanut butter, wrapped around the live
electric fence surrounding my gardens. Two interesting results:
First: 3 pieces on the ground, indicating three educational deer
jolts; second; There are ripe berries onthe plants, a marked
difference fron yesterday when there were NONE and hundreds of unripe
berries and dry stems where berries had been. Conclusion; deer are
very effective at identifying ripe berries.

My camera over the water celery did not pick up any motion. No trail
cam pics. Probably a result of the three educational experiences. It
is my hope they will leave the berries alone. I am not sure what i
will do about the water celery browsing.

Jim