Old 07-06-2010, 04:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

Default Gypsum for clay soil

On Jun 7, 10:34*am, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 7 June, 09:31, NT wrote:

Unused plaster will bind the soil, used lumps wont.

Run it through a cement mixer and a couple of rocks as a ball mill. So
long as you crunch it down enough to go through a sieve, it's fine.
Even just soaking it in an excess of water would be enough (this is
plaster, not cement).

I wouldn't add "rottable garbage" to soil either, it's much better to
rot this down separately. Otherwise you'll be short of nitrogen and
lawns in particular would suffer badly.

So they say, but I've not seen this happen in practice. If you added
wood shavings or plenty of paper I daresay it would.

NT