Old 07-06-2010, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gopher Gopher is offline

Default New Potatoes

In message , Pam Moore
writes
On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 11:30:55 +0100, Donwill
wrote:

Picked our first new potatoes yesterday for Sunday lunch, one plant,
just enough for two. The variety was new to me, SWMBO decided to try a
variety called Rocket.
Certainly very early, but flavour was insipid, I don't think we'll be
trying them again.
Regards
Don, Oswestry

Oh dear, Don. I cringe when I hear Rocket mentioned. I grew them
once and never again. In my experience, prone to slugs and quite
tasteless.

Pam in Bristol

I have grown them for the last 3 years. 2008 and 2009 were superb. We
were delighted with flavour and colour. This year, however, we wandered
off to Brittany for a week in early May and returned to find about 30%
of them laid low (fatally so) by a frost which had been unexpectedly
sever in N. Dorset (-4.8C). My Foremost have been totally unaffected so
I guess Rocket will be relegated to my "never again unless you can
guarantee no frost" list. FYI I always grow first earlies in large pots.
This may not be wise!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!