Old 08-06-2010, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Making a calcium/lime/gypsum brew

Paul M. Cook wrote:
I have a box of Fix-All wall patching compound. It is gypsum, lime,
starch and some other inert ingredients. What would be a good
formula for tomatoes? My tomatoes are growing very fast and setting
fruit. I know they need calcium. Would this be good for other
plants like peppers and cukes?

Not unless you know what sort of lime it is (the name represents several
compounds) and what the 'inert' ingredients are and the various proportions.
At a guess it is mostly gypsum (calcium sulphate) which is the core
ingredient in most plaster products. This is pH neutral and supplies
calcium, it is often used as a clay breaker. Other ingredients might not be
so benign.

David