Old 08-06-2010, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default Making a calcium/lime/gypsum brew

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Paul M. Cook wrote:
I have a box of Fix-All wall patching compound. It is gypsum, lime,
starch and some other inert ingredients. What would be a good
formula for tomatoes? My tomatoes are growing very fast and setting
fruit. I know they need calcium. Would this be good for other
plants like peppers and cukes?

Not unless you know what sort of lime it is (the name represents several
compounds) and what the 'inert' ingredients are and the various
proportions. At a guess it is mostly gypsum (calcium sulphate) which is
the core ingredient in most plaster products. This is pH neutral and
supplies calcium, it is often used as a clay breaker. Other ingredients
might not be so benign.

It says limestone. The soil pH is 6.2 according to my 7 dollar meter.

Paul