Old 08-06-2010, 01:02 PM posted to misc.rural,rec.gardens
Ann[_7_] Ann[_7_] is offline

Default ID this type of farm BRIDGE, please

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 19:10:47 +1000, FarmI wrote:

"Ann" wrote in message

Since we are discussing water, how did your summer go water-wise?

OK - not brilliant but enough although it was a bit touch and go at
times. Not a lot of pasture growth but we didn't have to buy in feed and
there was enough water for the cattle to drink on both farms. We were
getting a bit worried about having to sell all the cattle on our other
farm as we were getting low on water there and the creek dried up.
Luckily the dams stayed full enough till we got decent rain.

Luckily for us and all the other farmers round here there was good
Autumn rain over much of the country and especially out west where
they'll have feed for the next 18 months on the strength of the Autumn
rains. The annual Autumn calf sales resulted in a bumper sale all
round. It's been years since we've had such good prices.

That's good news. It's traditionally dry here in August. Way back when,
the well at my grandparent's house would usually dry up, so they'd bring
water down from the better well at the barn in milk cans. Good example
of keeping ones priorities straight.